Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mom's Apple Squares

We have been loving the apples this fall!

I wanted to try out a few new recipes using apples.  Not surprisingly, when I started looking for recipes I kept coming back to the desserts with apples.  Here's one we all enjoyed.  It comes from Phyllis Hoffman's Celebrate Fall.  It was simple and quick to make.  I even liked that the recipe didn't have you peel the apples.  I'm also really enjoying my new subscription to the Celebrate magazines!

Mom's Apple Squares
3 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups chopped unpeeled Braeburn or Gala apples
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract


Frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
1 T. butter, softened
2 to 3 T milk

Coat a 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray and flour, set aside.  In a large bowl, combine eggs and salt.  Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until frothy, about 1 minute.  Add sugar and oil, beat until blended.  Add flour, baking soda and cinnamon, beat until blended.  Fold in apples, nuts and vanilla.  Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.  Baket at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and set.  Cool.

Combine frosting ingredients to acheive a spreadable consistency.  Spread over cooled cake.

I actually used pecans instead of walnuts, a personal choice when it comes to nuts.  I also just drizzled the frosting over the cake.  I thought it was easier and wasn't overkill with the frosting.  Now if you have any apples laying around, go and bake some for yourself.    
 

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Are you kidding me? These look to die for....I must make them!

Post a Comment