Thursday, January 27, 2011

Oatmeal Carmelitas

I love just about anything with caramel in it.  So years ago when I picked up a Pillsbury Bakeoff Cookie cookbook at the checkout at the grocery store,  I was hoping there would be something caramel in it.  Sure enough there was, Oatmeal Carmelitas.  I was hooked from the first time I made them.  I have a cousin who loves them too.  She usually asks me to bring them to family get-togethers.  So here they are...

Oatmeal Carmelitas
crust
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups butter, softened

filling
1 12 oz jar caramel ice cream topping
3 T flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine crust ingredients in a large bowl and mix with electric mixer on low until crumbly.  Reserve half of crumb mixture(about 3 cups) for topping.  Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine caramel topping and 3T flour.  Remove partially baked crust from oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture.  I also use chocolate from a bar.  I just chop it into bitesize pieces.

Return to oven and bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.  Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set.  Cut into bars.
Too bad these are gone already.  I better go make some more.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh yum, carmelitas are one of those things that are impossible to resist. That gooey caramel filling just keeps calling my name. I have a linky party every week on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

Lindsey said...

Hi Julie, thanks for stopping by my blog! These oatmeal carmelitas look scrumptious... I have a soft spot for oats. :)

Jacqueline said...

So nice of you to stop by. Someone brought these to an office party years and years and years ago and gave me the recipe and I have forgotten about them until you posted them. They are fabulous aren't they. Your photos are so beautiful, I wish I had one right now as a bedtime snack!

tortured mormon mom said...

I bet I can guess who the cousin is! Next family party will be Jake's farewell!

Cindy said...

This is often requested when I offer to bring treats to a farewell or homecoming. I have the Pillsbury cookbook this was featured in. Lots of fun recipes in that book.

Post a Comment